Followers

Friday, November 14, 2008

American soap box...

Let's all repeat after me, "America is NOT the only country on earth and it certainly NOT the greatest one either"
Step on any toes yet? Ohh i'm about to! I was stealing a survey from a freshmen i know on campus. He has surveys all the time. Truth be told most of the time i don't read his answers cause he is immature however for the newest one i decided to read his answers before inserting my own. I was shocked and angry at the following answer:

24. The world could do without: Mexico..i mean come do they really contribute to anything???

for real, are you serious? I get so extremely sick of people complaining about Mexico. I have been there to the slums and looked into the face of people who are hurting and I in fact am going back in March to do it again. My first reaction is "What an American answer" let me reprase that: what a stereotypical American answer. In my travels there is one universal truth America does not paint a pretty picture in other countries.

A few examples:
1. When i was in Japan i met a lot of great people. One of them told me that i didn't act like an American when i asked her what she meant she got very nervous and shy and said to forget she said anything. The next weekend my roommates and i went to Tokyo Disney Land and saw exactly what she meant. We ran into a group of six or so American college guys and never ever before have i been so embarrassed of my heritage. They were running around yelling things like "Hey you want to learn English?" and "We have a hotel right down the street you want to come check it out." This is the view of Americans that my Japanese family had. That makes me sad.

2. Last year i went to Mexico. Before i left i actually had someone on campus say to me, "While you're down there ask them to give us our jobs back" for real now? We went there and visited what is called "Invasion City" it looks like this:

This is how many people live. They find any scraps and they build a home. They have families of five or six live here. If living here weren't enough they live in constant fear because any day the government could show up and cart them off to jail for setting up housing when it's not permitted. Jobs are set up in Mexico that they work for five months and take a few months off and then come back. However in the last three years they do not get their jobs back due to the economy lately. The reason they can only work five months is that if they work more than that they have a tax they cannot afford so they work there for five months take a few months off and come back if there is anything to come back to. So cities like these are becoming more and more common as they are moving around to find work to support their families. This is a sad reality, especially when you find yourself thinking that you have nothing. These people have one water source for about ten of these scrap houses and they all share it willingly and lovingly.

So i'm annoyed right now with the small minded American thinking. I know there are Americans out there who are not like this and i thank God for you. Let's love the neighbors in our country and in other countries.

Stepping off soap box now.

4 comments:

The BZ in the EZBZ said...

kris, I don't think that this is a soapbox that you should step off of. I totally agree with you. There are sooo many people in America that don't grasp the concept and don't want to grasp the concept that other countries exsist. Which is very sad... especially when, as usuall, the loud and the few ruin the rest of our reputations before we go visit other countries..

Kris Locker said...

i didn't mean i was stepping off entirely i meant that my rant was done :) Thanks Beth!

Casey Butler said...

Casey Butler approves of this rant.

Unknown said...

mmhmm