Followers

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

moving, ER trips and upcoming surgery...

I haven't updated my blog since May and my life is dramatically different from then. Most of the time it feels as thought my life shifts within a week so you can imagine the changes in five months. To start I moved to Grand Rapids, Michigan in July. Lauren and I found this apartment in Comstock Park and it's been great. Seriously, there are few people that I can live with. I don't do drama and have little patience for petty behaviors or catty girls. This is EXACTLY why we work so well.

So about a month and a half ago I went to the ER due to what at the time felt like a heart attack or something maybe not as bad but pretty serious. It turned out that it was gallstones and the diagnosis was to have my gallbladder removed. I was put on a strict diet and told that if that went well that I could move to a bland diet. That is literally what it is. It is literally the most boring eating experience: no tomato based sauces, no spices, all dairy has to be low-fat and water and juice only to drink. I found a olive oil based butter substitute, switched to Coconut Milk and add avacadoes to nearly everything. I've gotten a lot of questions about why I stick to such a strict diet..the answer is quite simple: pain is my motiviation. Say you're favorite food in the world is pizza and your doctor says not to eat it. Not imagine if you do eat that your body will feel like it is literally having a heart attack and then the pain will travel to your back and then to your stomach and could last an hour to a day and there is nothing to do but wait it out. How appealing is your favorite food now? I am always in pain but the for the most part it's a dull pain and when it's not I take my pain medicine. After my first weekend of a few ER trips I made an appointment to meet with the surgeon and had to wait a month to see her. The meeting came and went and she told me about the surgery and scheduled it for a month from then. Not too happy I asked if there was any way to move it and they put me on a 'cancellation list' and prayed for a cancellation. Two weeks ago I was so much pain one night that I asked Lauren to take me to the hospital and he said that I was having spasms and that it would progressively getting worse. He suggested I call the surgeon back and request an earlier surgery since at this time I still have a little less than a month til the surgery. I called and they scheduled me for this Friday the 4th. I am anxious, nervous and optimistic about it. I've never had a surgery in my life and although it's considered an 'easy surgery' I'm still having surgery and an organ taken out of my body. Jesus and I have been chatting about it for a long time.

In other news I love my job. It's such a wonderful thing to truly enjoy what you do. I work at a childcare facility which is through the YMCA. At the moment I am a floater/sub and it's only part time. I am still praying about the possibility of it moving to a consistent full time job. We will see what happens after the surgery since I'm out of work for a week.

Church wise I have been attending Frontline. I absolutely love the church and am plugging in where I see a good fit. Twice a month I teach Sunday school for the second and third grade class and am a small group leader in both the junior and senior high youth groups. I also am starting a small group soon. I am very excited to see what relationships God cultivates through my experiences here.

That's me. If you think about it on Friday send a prayer for me. Never too many people praying.
Kris

No comments: