Followers

Saturday, May 25, 2013

who are you?

Recently I have been asked by a few family members, "who are you?" This to me is a compliment and proof that I am evolving and changing for the better. The past two years I have had the worst problems with my health. I often feel sick and beyond tired. I have been leaning more toward healthy lifestyle choices. I started working out and taking more walks. I noticed that I felt the most horrible after I would eat. This made me do some research. As someone who has a food allergy, food can be a struggle. I've had to adjust my menu and I added vegetables as a source of protein that I was not gaining from eggs. In the last few months I have been watching what I have. One of things is that I have been trying to avoid is high fructose corn syrup. It took a few stores but I did find a ketchup without it, I have yet to find a BBQ sauce and I now drink water. I was drinking tea to try to be healthier and found that even that had it unless I make tea by dropping a bag in some water. This was shocking to find the first ingredient in my tea was a corn syrup.

I cut out sugary and corn syrup type drinks and added more vegetables to my diet but I still felt sick. I started to journal when and what I was feeling sick. I started to notice that I always felt the worse after each meal. I started to look at when I felt the worse and it was at dinner when we had a large amount of meat, usually mostly red meat and started looking into a 'plant-based diet'. I read articles online, watched documentaries about it and of course prayed about it. I stopped by a local farmers market and stocked up on vegetables and fruits. I started only eating meat at dinner. After two days of feeling great all day and then feeling sick after dinner I decided that the choice to stop eating meat was for me. I want to be very very clear. I am not an animal activist. Although I do believe that life is precious and animal cruelty is a problem. However I am not choosing the vegetarian/plant-based diet because of animals. It is a personal choice...a health choice.

To be honest I thought it was going to be really difficult to do. It has been a challenge but not as difficult. I think having a food allergy helps. It's not uncommon for me to eat something different than those in my family or to buy separate food. I just added more greens and grains that I would normally eat. This is the new me at least for the next year. I committed to doing this for a year. I have been only doing this for a week (and two days with absolutely no meat) and I have never felt better and it's only been a week. For the past year I have been challenging myself to do things to improve my life. Thanks for reading.

Who Am I?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kris!

I haven't been on my blog in quite some time, but I decided to hop on tonight, and your post was the first one I saw! :) I really enjoyed reading it, and I am so happy that you are finding ways to be nourished without feeling sick! As you know, my stomach can be pretty crazy, too! Austin and I try to make healthy food choices, and over the past couple years I have found some recipes for meatless meals and healthy snacks that have really helped me to engage the kitchen and enjoy food that is beneficial for my body! Basically, if you ever want to swap recipes or anything, I would love to chat! :) I pray you're doing well and miss you!!!