Followers

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

morphing into Ms. Locker

I am still trying to catch my breath. I have two more days and then a weekend and hopefully an opportunity to sleep somewhere in there. I started to school on Tuesday (yesterday) let me just say that i was in bed by 9pm. I wake up from 6am- 6:15 and from then until around 4 pm i am thinking about curriculum, discipline, lesson plans and what to do about those boys who will not stay on task. I got home around 4:30 yesterday because we had our first staff meeting. So far i haven't felt like the newbie at all which is a good feeling. I am treated like one of the teachers and if anything they often reassure me that things to get better and easier. I eat lunch with the other second grade teachers and feel like a babe as they are talking about grandchildren and when they will retire. I'm not even starting teaching and they are decided whether this year or next would be the time to retire. It has been nice because a lot have said they don't know if they want to retire because they love teaching so much...even the ones who've done it for thirty years...that makes me feel better. Also they all talk about how much their husbands and kids ask of them and that makes me truly appreciate the single life. I don't have someone expecting me home or asking me to get out of my planning book...i come home to a quiet and empty little home and i have to admit it that i enjoy more than i ever thought i would. Seriously, God was right when he told me i wasn't ready for a relationship. He's so good.

So today at school was better. I'm not nearly as exhausted and the students were better behaved. They listened better and are starting to see the routine a little bit better. We have 17 boys and 7 girls. It's a lot of boys but i can tell it'll be a blast. Tomorrow my teacher has to go to the funeral and so i'm in charge of the class for a few hours. I am excited to early get the students to see me as their teacher. They are so fun and a constant surprise.

It'll take awhile to get used to being called "Ms. Locker" but i like it.

Fill a bucket today, k?

BUCKET FILLERS
Have You Filled a Bucket Today? The idea of Bucket Fillers is based on the book "Have You Filled A Bucket Today? (A Guide to Daily Happiness For Kids)" by Carol McCloud. The premise of the book is this...

We all carry an invisible bucket that contains our feelings. When our bucket is full, we feel great. When our bucket is empty, we feel sad. A bucket filler is someone who says or does nice things for other people. By doing this, they are filling other people's buckets and filling their own bucket at the same time.

On the other hand, a bucket dipper says or does things to cause other people to feel bad. A bucket dipper empties their bucket when they say and do mean things.

In our classroom, each student has a bucket on our Bucket Filler bulletin board. Everyone is encouraged to fill the buckets by writing kind words and compliments to each other. At the end of the week, we empty the buckets and read the nice things our friends left for us when they filled our buckets.

No comments: