Followers

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

explaining fasting...

I have made a huge decision. I have told a few people what it is but am not going to make it public until it is official. Time will tell when that will be. Time is what I have, unless Jesus comes and then HALLELUJAH! Until then though I have some major decisions to make. In talking to close friends they have agreed to keep me accountable as I make the decision to fast certain things in my life which take up so much time that I am not allowing myself time to pray, meditate and think about the decisions before me. For the first two weeks I gave up Facebook. To be honest that one was a little bit easy. It was a relief to not go on facebook. My conversations resulted in going deeper than "did you see such and such on fb..." They were meaningful. I found that at time facebook was burdomsome, dramatic and a pleasure to fast from. I was thinking of going for a month but it didn't feel like a fast. So on the way to church on the Sunday after the 'so called facebook fast' ended i prayed about what to give up next. I immediately prayed that it wouldn't be nexflix and God said 'that's it'. sigh. i love netflix and since i don't really watch tv and have no cable that's it. Other than pandora it's my primary source of entertainment. I told a friend and she graciously said she's fast it with me. I decided that I wanted it to be a meaningful fast so during "primetime nextflix times" I have a list of Christian books and books of the bible i'd like to read during these times. So far it's been great (and only two days). I have noticed that my evenings are more open now without another netflix marathon.

 So my dad was confused when i told him i was giving nexflix. Partially because most of my walk with God is perplexing to those on the outside and also partially because he thought that the family was giving it up. i told him i couldn't stop them from watching but was going to read during the usual netflix night times. I decided to do my best to try to explain what a fast it (esp to someone who doens't speak 'Christian-ese' and this was my best, "I have made this decison and in order to see the big picture of what God wants me to do I am giving up things. I choose Netflix because i love it so much. I am giving up things that distract me from thinking about the big picture and what I want to come out of this huge decision."

 I did my best, Kris

No comments: